We hope you will have an enjoyable visit to this historic Golf Links and Clubhouse. The Secretary would be pleased to receive any suggestions or comments arising from your visit.
All visitors are expected to be competent golfers who hold a current Club or Society handicap. As the Links provide a difficult test of golf, maximum handicaps allowed for visitors are: Men - 21, Ladies - 32. Proof of playing ability is required prior to play.
All tee times are allocated in advance. The Club's official Starter controls access to the tee. The Club reserves the right to adjust starting times as required.
All play starts from the first tee. Members have exclusive rights to the tee at set times. Thursday is Ladies' Day and visitors can only be accommodated after 2.30 pm. Play at weekends is not normally allowed. The Club may insist on 2-ball or 3-ball play.
Gentlemen have the option depending on their ability to play from the Green tees (6900 yards) or from the Yellow tees (6500 yards). Ladies play from the Red LGU tees (5900 yards). Winter tees will be in use from 1st January (Composite Course).
Practice facilities are available to visitors including both short and long game areas with practice balls available with our compliments. We also have a large, practice putting green in front of the clubhouse.
Visitors are requested to conform to established golfing etiquette, be aware of other players and call other players through if necessary. Visitors should play briskly and always maintain their position on the course. Marshalls patrol the Links to ensure an appropriate pace of play.
The Professional acts as Caddy Master. The following are available by prior booking:-
Bar snacks are available from 09.30am to 5.30pm.
The Club offers Lunch in the Dining Room from 12.30pm - 2.30pm.
Evening catering is available for parties of 20 or more at a minimum charge of £600. Menus are available on request.
Since the Club is a place of relaxation and leisure, other than for Doctors on-call, mobile telephones must be switched off when on the course or in the Club House. Essential calls can be made in the Main Reception only.
Closed circuit television is installed but the Club regrets that it accepts no liability for the loss or theft of visitors' property on the course, in the car park or in the Club House.
On The Course
Conventional golf wear is required and shirts should be tucked in. Shorts should be tailored, knee length for gentlemen and can be worn with white sports socks.
In The Clubhouse
Golf wear can be worn throughout the Club until 6.00 pm, but shorts should not be worn upstairs at any time. Thereafter, jacket and tie (or equivalent dress for ladies) are required. There are restrictions on where golf shoes, caps and outer garments can be worn. Visitors are particularly required to dress appropriately in the Dining Room.
Denim jeans, training shoes and round neck T-shirts are not permitted either on the course or in the Club House.
Visitors are requested not to change into/out of golfing attire in the Car Park; adequate facilities are available within the Clubhouse.
Are not permitted in the Club House or on the Links.
The Liverpool Golf Club was founded at Hoylake in 1869 on what was then the racecourse of the Liverpool Hunt Club and for the first seven years of the club’s existence the land was used for both golf and racing. The original saddling bell still hangs in the clubhouse and holes one and 18 are called Course and Stand respectively.
Royal Liverpool Golf Club, which was awarded his cherished prefix in 1871 by the Duke of Connaught, is the second-oldest seaside course in England after Royal Devon. In 1872 it hosted the first professional tournament in England, which was won by Young Tom Morris, the multiple Open winner. The first prize was £15.
Hoylake essentially witnessed the beginning of the end for the traditional gutta-percha ball when in 1902 the Scot Sandy Herd became the first Open champion to use the new rubber-cored Haskell ball. Herd played with a Haskell in a practice round, could not believe how far it went and went to the club shop to purchase the entire stock – which amounted to four balls.
When Walter Hagen won at Hoylake in 1924, his wife Edna, broke protocol by running on to the 18th green to celebrate. And when Hagen was led into the bar on the shoulders of hundreds of fans, the officials could do nothing to stop the invasion. But the Hoylake members were hospitable, inviting Edna to sit alongside her husband, the first time a woman had been welcomed into the clubhouse.
Some historians believe that Bobby Jones, the founder of Augusta who won the Open at Hoylake in 1930, got the idea for the Masters' Green Jacket from a member he sat next to at a dinner named Kenneth Stoker, who wore a red jacket with dark green lapels that identified him as a captain or past captain. Stoker offered to give it to him if he won that week. It is not known whether he obliged.
In 1936, Alf Padgham became the only major champion in history to cause criminal damage before his final round. The Englishman had left his clubs in the pro’s shop overnight and it was locked up. He was told to to use borrowed clubs, but instead broke a window and climbed in to rescue his clubs. It is rumoured he had to pay for the window out of his winnings.
The town of Hoylake was complicit in bringing together one of Britain’s most famous comic duos. In 1940, Eric Morecambe (or Eric Bartholomew as he was then known) won a talent show in Hoylake’s Kingway Cinema. The price was an audition for Jack Hylton, who then invited him to join a revue called Youth Takes A Bow, where he met Ernest Wiseman.